Tuesday 2 July 2013

Fast & Shiny -- a little book about America's love affair with the automobile.

Hello all,

Aine, I'm so glad you invited me to do this though your ears may have been burning when I was asking myself.....WHY am I doing this?  I can't wait to see what everyone has done and how you all feel about the project. Will any of you be doing editions of the book you have created?

On my blog there is a long article about the experience and included some of my process shots.   Ultimately I overprinted my pages using an inkjet printer and created new covers, relying on my extensive digital printmaking experience and limited book binding skills to rescue me. I had intended to create a very different book.  Earlier in June I fractured vertebrae in my back and it has made me terribly grumpy while limiting my ability to do many things, including focus.  I had to rethink this project many times, since I screwed up so many things along the way,  I'm sure you can relate.  I tell you all of this because for those of you who are not done,  keep at it, it will come together.  

You can see my book on my blog at -- pictured is my inside title page printed on velum with the first page below.   This is my favorite spread in the whole book.  Ann was talking about her interleaved pages and I'm sure they will make her book very compelling.  The 2nd photo shows the book block all sewed together ready for attaching the covers with the printed red marbled paper.

http://marytaylorart.com/blog/2013/07/01/fast-shiny-a-pod-altered-book-challenge/

 

1 comment:

  1. Mary even with all the problems you had health-wise ( Hope that is all bye the bye now ?) nonetheless you made a wonderful book.

    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete